The missions of Labex CAPRYSSES
Labex CAPRYSSES* (Chemical kinetics and aerothermodynamic for clean and safe propulsion and energy systems)
aims to control the coupled phenomena related to chemical kinetics and fluid dynamics in order to improve the quality and safety of energy systems.
These include :
- Combustion or partial oxidation of gaseous, liquid and solid reactants ;
- The detonation of gaseous mixtures and containing solid particles ;
- Aerothermodynamics of medium- and high-speed flows.
These studies will be conducted under the conditions of thermal engines, land and aeronautical gas turbines, aerospace propulsion systems, hazardous situations related to chemical explosions.
These studies aim to contribute to several technological and socio-economic challenges, such as :
- Reducing the CO2 footprint of land and air transport through the use of more efficient and cleaner advanced motorization concepts, the integration of biofuels in these engine systems but also by controlling the external aerodynamics of propulsion systems; This also applies to propulsion systems for telecommunications satellites ;
- Valorize non-food biomass and organic waste for the production of heat, electricity and hydrogen ;
- Developing CO2 capture processes for zero emission energy systems ;
- Controlling the risks of chemical explosions to make the operation of large energy systems, such as nuclear power stations or gas transmission systems, more secure.
On the training side, CAPRYSSES relies on training strength of the University of Orleans and ENSI Bourges, such as :
- The Polytech Orleans engineering specialty "Technologies for Energy, Aeronautics and Motorization" ;
- The Duby "Automotive Engineering for Sustainable Mobility" joint Master at Polytech Orleans and ISAT in Nevers ;
- The "Industrial Risk Control" specialty of ENSI Bourges ;
- The new offer of training Master "Energy and Materials". In this context, the specialty "Energy, Combustion and Environment" is proposed with two courses: "Chemistry, Pollution, Environmental Risks" and "Fluids, Aerodynamics, Combustion". These courses will allow strong interactions between physicists and chemists linked to the specific expertise of Labex CAPRYSSES.
Labex CAPRYSSES will enable a strong structuring on the Orleans-Bourges campus of the research potential for clean and safe energy and propulsion systems where studies on the interactions between chemical kinetics and fluid dynamics are essential. A strong link between training and research will exist.
CAPRYSSES will help to rationalize the use of the exceptional experimental platforms of its two partners, often unique in Europe.
By strengthening collaborations at national, European and international level (on the one hand towards the European Union and on the other hand to emerging countries such as China, India, Brazil, Russia, Ukraine , Turkey, Thailand, Colombia and the countries of North Africa in particular) and the sustainability of partnerships with the industrial and economic players in the fields concerned, CAPRYSSES aims to become the International Reference Center on "Chemical conversion Clean and safe energy ".
*Convention n° ANR-11-LABX-0006-01